Kent car accident: Watch out for these insurance tactics
If you ever have the misfortune of suffering injuries in an on-road mishap in Kent, knowing your rights would help. Washington is a fault state and, therefore, will typically file a third-party claim with the insurance company of the driver at fault. Winning a settlement from the insurance company won’t be easy. In this post, we are sharing more about common tactics and why you need a Kent car accident lawyer.
Insurance tactics may vary
The insurance adjuster has no intention of helping you with the case. They want to settle the matter as soon as possible and for the lowest amount. Tactics used by insurance companies include –
- Calling the claimant on the same day of the accident, hoping that they would let their guard down.
- Asking for a statement that can be used against the claimant.
- Tricking the claimant to sign forms to get blanket medical authorization.
- Offering a settlement immediately after the accident.
- Deny liability on false grounds.
- Discouraging the claimant from seeking compensation.
- Disputing medical bills and the need for treatments.
- Discouraging people from lawyering up.
- Passing the blame because of your minor fault.
- Misrepresenting laws and settlement scope.
Get an attorney
If you decide to talk to the insurance adjuster directly, you may feel the need to accept whatever is being offered. This often happens to people who are dealing with financial losses and medical bills because of the accident. Hiring an attorney is your best bet for staying away from insurance tactics. Lawyers can negotiate for you and ensure that you don’t become a victim because of your mistakes. They also know when the matter is beyond the insurance company or if filing a lawsuit would be a smarter idea.
Whatever the insurance adjuster tells you, just remember that they are not your best friend and don’t care for anything but their interests. If you are worried about the costs of hiring a car accident lawyer, just remember that lawyers charge a contingency fee for such cases. You don’t have to pay them anything until the insurance company or the at-fault party pays you. Also, most lawyers would be happy to assess your car accident claim and determine what you can possibly get for your losses. Medical bills lost income, and other losses are some of the things you can recover by filing a car accident claim. Call an attorney immediately.